Did You Know…
- About 56% of playground-related injuries treated in the ER are for scrapes, bruises, cuts and broken bones.
- Nearly, 75% of injuries due to playground equipment occur on public playgrounds.
- Falls are the most common type of playground injury.
- Most Injuries occur at public or school playgrounds. Lack of, or improper supervision, is associated with approximately 45% of playground-related injuries.
Top Safety Tips
- Actively supervise kids on playgrounds.
- Take kids to playgrounds with shock-absorbing surfaces such as rubber, synthetic turf, sand, pea gravel, wood chips or mulch.
- Dress appropriately for the playground. No jewelry, purses, scarves or clothing with drawstrings that can pose a strangulation hazard.
- Teach children no pushing, shoving or crowding on the playground.