Did You Know…
- Nearly 80% of playground-related injuries are caused by falls, which is the most common type of playground injury.
- About 45% of playground-related injuries are severe.
- About 75% of playground-related injuries treated in the ER, are for scrapes, bruises, cuts and broken bones.
- Children, ages 5-9, have higher rates of ER visits from playground-related injuries than any other age group.
Top Safety Tips
- Actively supervise kids on playgrounds.
- Take kids to playgrounds with shock-absorbing surfaces such as rubber, synthetic turf, sand, pea gravel, wood chips or mulch.
- Dress appropriately for the playground. No jewelry, purses, scarves or clothing with drawstrings that can pose a strangulation hazard.
- Teach children no pushing, shoving or crowding on the playground.
This page was last modified on 04/13/2022