Did You Know...
- Each year in the US, over 38 million children and adolescents participate in some type sport.
- Girls suffer a higher percentage of concussions than boys.
- Over 3.5 million children under the age of 15, receive medical treatment due to sports injuries.
- 62% of injuries from organized sports occur during practice, not games.
- The most common cause of sports-related death is traumatic brain injury.
- Sprains are the most common sports-related injury.
Top Safety Tips
- Use the right sports, protective equipment for the activity, such as helmets, wrist guards and knee or elbow pads for active sports.
- Keep sports, protective equipment in good condition and make sure it is worn correctly.
- Allow time for athletes to gradually adjust to hot or humid environments in order to prevent heat-related injuries or illness.
- Keep players hydrated and dressed for all weather conditions.
This page was last modified on 11/29/2021