Did You Know...
- Unintentional falls are the leading cause of non-fatal injuries for children in the US.
- Most of these injuries result from activities such as climbing on furniture, playing near an unsecured window, falling downstairs or playing on playgrounds.
- Teenagers aged 15-19 years were responsible for 48% of fatal falls among children.
- Three times more boys than girls suffered fatal falls.
- Fatal falls increase during summer months and on weekends.
Top Safety Tips
- Properly install window guards to prevent unintentional window falls.
- Keep babies and young kids strapped in when using high chairs, infant carriers, swings or strollers.
- Use approved safety gates at the tops and bottoms of stairs and attach them to the wall.
- Secure TVs and furniture to the wall using mounts, brackets, braces, anchors or wall straps to prevent tip-overs.
- Take your kids to playgrounds with shock-absorbing surfaces such as rubber.
This page was last modified on 11/29/2021