Did You Know…
- 1,500 children in the US are killed each year due to a gun.
- 3 out of 4 children ages 5-14 know where the gun is stored.
- 62% of NC children live in a home with a gun unlocked and loaded.
- 59% of suicides in NC are by a handgun.
- 80% of unintentional firearm deaths in children under the age of 15 are in the home.
- A child as young as 3 is strong enough to pull the trigger.
- On average, someone is killed by a gun every 6 hours in NC.
Top Safety Tips
- Keep guns out of the reach and out of sight of kids by storing them in locked cabinet.
- Talk to your children about gun safety.
- Make sure all guns have a gun lock.
- Keep the keys to gun safes and gun locks hidden and out of the of those who should not have access to them.
- When a gun is not being stored, always keep it in immediate possession and control.
- Teach kids proper hunting skills by taking gun safety class.
- Talk to the grandparents and parents of your children’s friends about guns in the home and how to safely store and secure them.
This page was last modified on 11/29/2021