Did You Know…
- Unintentional suffocation is the leading cause of death for children under 1 year old.
- Nearly 3,500 babies die each year in the US and 130 in NC from a sudden suffocation.
- 90% of SIDS cases occur before six months of age.
- Higher rates of SIDS are observed in boys as compared to girls.
Top Safety Tips
- Dress baby in a wearable blanket, onesie or similar clothing for every sleep.
- Place babies on their backs for naps and at night until they are 1 year old.
- Choose a firm mattress and fitted sheet for baby’s crib.
- Remove any toys, blankets, pillows, bumper pads and other accessories from the crib.
- Place baby’s crib or bassinet in your bedroom instead of letting baby sleep in the same bed with you.
- Choose a crib that was made after 2011 and check for crib recalls.
This page was last modified on 11/29/2021