Did You Know...
- In 2019, 149 people went to the emergency room for firework-related injuries in North Carolina.
- More than 9,000 people nationwide, were treated for firework-related injuries with 62 percent of them occurring during the month surrounding the 4th of July.
- Children under 5 years of age accounted for more than half of the total estimated injuries.
- Handheld sparklers can burn at a temperature of 1,200 to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit.
- More than 19,500 reported fires are started by fireworks annually.
- Half of firework-related injuries seen at emergency rooms, were extremities: hand, finger, or leg.
Top Safety Tips
- Leave fireworks to the professionals.