Fire Prevention Week
Did You Know...
- Fire Prevention Week is observed each year during the week of October 9th, in commemoration of the Great Chicago Fire.
- Fire Prevention week will be held October 3-9, 2021.
- The 2020 Fire Prevention week Campaign is “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!”
- Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries.
- Thanksgiving is the leading day for fires involving cooking equipment.
- The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking.
Top Safety Tips
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food.
- Remain in the kitchen while food is cooking and use a cooking timer.
- Keep sleeves, oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels and/or curtains away from the stovetop.
- Keep a lid nearby to smother small grease fires and leave the pan covered until it has completely cooled.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
- Never throw water on an oil fire.
- If the fire is too large, get everyone out of the home and call 911 from outside.