To Report a Fatality
In the event of a fatality in your department or squad, immediately complete the
Report an On Duty Death Form. In the event you cannot complete this form, please call the State Fire Marshal's Office at 800-634-7854. You will be greeted by a voice menu, press "0" for the operator and ask to speak to someone about reporting an On Duty Death.
If you need assistance after office hours (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.), please contact:
A response team consisting of two OSFM personnel can be at your location within 24 hours.
Please have the following information ready when calling:
- Your name, department, and a phone number where you can be contacted.
- Time, date, and location of the fatal incident, as well as a brief description of the type of incident (structure fire, vehicle accident, heart attack, etc.).
Click below for the list of documents that will have to be obtained. The contact person should download this document and start the process of gathering the required information.
Documents are provided to serve as guidelines for funerals, ceremonies, receptions, etc. Please contact Michael Caviness 336-813-0088 should need any assistance or have any questions.
- North Carolina State Firefighters' Association
- North Carolina Association Rescue and EMS
- National Fallen Firefighters Foundation
- North Carolina Fallen Firefighters Foundation
- Public Safety Officer’s Benefits - type “In-line of Duty Death” in the search engine.