HILB - Apply for License
All applicants for licensure as a home inspector must create/register an account for a user ID assignment and confirm their email address.
Following the assignment of a valid user ID, applicants must use the separate USERNAME LOGIN to access:
- Application (Fee $35)
- Exam Registration (Fee $80)
- License (Fee $160)
(3rd party online payment by credit, debit or e-check)
The board requires applicants to disclose and consent to a criminal history record check pursuant to N.C. Gen. Stat. 93B-8.1
The factors considered when making a determination of licensure including the following:
- The level and seriousness of the crime.
- The date of the crime.
- The age of the person at the time of the crime.
- The circumstances surrounding the commission of the crime, if known
- The nexus between the criminal conduct and the prospective duties of the applicant as a licensee.
- The prison, jail, probation, parole, rehabilitation, and employment records of the applicant since the date the crime was committed.
- The completion of, or active participation in, rehabilitative drug or alcohol treatment.
- A Certificate of Relief granted pursuant to G.S. 15A-173.2.
- The subsequent commission of a crime by the applicant.
- Any affidavits or other written documents, including character references.
Pre-screening of Criminal History and Appeals Process
The Board's Application Evaluation Committee pre-screens applicants with a criminal history. N.C. Gen. Stat. 143-151.53 and Board Rule 11 NCAC 08 .1010 set forth the denial and appeal process. Initial evaluations of license applications are made by the Board's staff. Staff decisions are reviewed by the Committee. A Board hearing may be requested if aggrieved by any final decision.