The Fire & Rescue Division’s Fire Investigations Unit conducts fire investigations throughout North Carolina in accordance with N.C. Gen. Stat. § 58-79-1. The State Electrical Division works with the Fire Investigations Unit where electrical causes are suspect.
- Respond on request by State and local authorities to investigate fires
- Assist public officials with technical explanations that may evolve complex engineering designs
- Inform public officials with any known safety hazards associated with the fire scene
- Provide a report of findings subsequent to each fire investigation
- Utilize findings for Code modification and educational purposes