Auto Liability 2023-2024

State Automobile Liability Certificate of Insurance (COI)

Auto Liability COI 2023-2024

Automobile Liability

NCGS § 58-31-50. Liability insurance required for state-owned vehicles. Every department, agency or institution of the State shall acquire motor vehicle liability insurance on all state-owned motor vehicles under its control. (1959, c. 1248; 1983, c. 717, s. 10.)

The State self-insures predictable losses and purchases insurance for catastrophic losses. Coverage is provided for property damage and bodily injury to others (non-State employees). The liability insurance program is administered by Travelers Insurance Company on any automobile licensed to or operated by the State or its employees. Such coverage is deemed adequate by the State and State agencies are not authorized to purchase higher limits for individual employees.

The automobile liability insurance coverage limit is $1,000,000 for bodily injury/property damage ($10,000,000 aggregate per accident). The coverage is automatic and state agencies complete a self audit at the beginning of the fiscal year using the NCAIA Auto Web.

Auto Physical Damage

Physical Damage insurance provides collision and comprehensive coverage for scheduled vehicles. State Agencies must individually schedule vehicles on the Auto Physical Damage policy for the desired coverage using the NCAIA Auto Web

Office of State Fire Marshal, Risk Management Division should be contacted for additional information 919-647-0065 or 919-647-0000.

FAQs for Personal Vehicle Use For Approved State Business

Tab/Accordion Items

When employees use their personal vehicle for State business, the employee's personal automobile insurance provides primary coverage. Individuals who use their personal vehicle for State business on a routine basis should report the same to their insurance company for rating purposes.

The State's liability insurance may provide excess liability coverage after all valid and collectible insurance has been exhausted. 

The State's automobile insurance will not reimburse individuals for deductibles under their private insurance.


The state employee will make a claim for an accident with their personal vehicle auto insurance policy carrier. At the same time the state employee can make a claim for excess coverage on the State's auto policy by contacting the person or department for their State agency that reports the State vehicle claims. 

Contact OSFM Risk Management for assistance at 919-647-0065 or 919-647-0000.